Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Buttercup Bags

So more recently, my sewing endeavors have taken a themed turn. I've sewn four and a half of this particular type of bag, and I just love them. They are so adorable and fun. One small version I gave away, the other I kept for myself. Then one bigger one I gave away, the other I kept for myself. I am midway through making one for my sister.

Here they are!


This is the first one I sewed. Several errors include not ironing interfacing behind the embroidery before starting, causing puckering; the bird itself came out too tall and skinny; the pattern called for exposed handles, which don't look finished; The ric rac was sewn in the wrong color thread with an exposed seam.




This is the second one I sewed, and already so many errors were corrected! The only remaining error that I meant to fix and forgot was the expose seam of the ric rac on the handle, but at least this time it was with the right color thread! I learned!





Here is the third one I sewed for my sister-in-law! This one came out really well. The only error was I forgot to try to seamlessly sew the ric rac on, and the seam landed on the right side. The solution? That adorable tiny bow on the side!





And finally, my fourth purse. This one was a tricky one. I only sewed it really while sewing with one of my friends. A lot of my train of thought was disjointed because of that, so I wound up making a couple of big mistakes like sewing everything shut before putting the ric rac on the body. I had to pull the stitches apart and fix that one. The best part about this version though? A secret girl pocket for monthly items!! It is artfully hidden away between the lining, and accessible through the body of the purse. Thanks to my sister-in-law for the awesome idea!!! I also sewed small ric rac onto one of the pockets inside, which is cute, but has begun fraying because of the way it was tucked and sewed.

The fifth purse that I am still working on is the smaller version for my sister. The pattern is available here. I purchased the pattern since I was going to be making so many of them, I figured she deserved the ten dollars for making such an amazing pattern free to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment