Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Guessss what!

So I guess since I've known for about two weeks, it's time I tell the story!!

I'm pregnant!!!

After thinking something was wrong with me and everything!

So to start at the beginning...

I had my last period April 19... I should have had another around May 19, give or take some time.

May came and went, and still no period. I decided to go to the doctor if, after 60 days, I still had no period. Around cycle day 51, I started to get a little stressed, so I made a doctor's appointment. I went in on cycle day 53, June 10. I also began taking my temperatures again (which I had gotten lazy about just prior to beginning to worry).

The doctor saw me, and basically just wanted to prescribe a medication. They drew some blood, and sent me on my way. Then it occured to me that I'd probably just skipped a period, and that my body should get back to normal in just about a week more. My body has been really strange since the miscarriage, so I guess I wasn't all that shocked when it started acting ridiculous again.

This was the most frustrating cycle I've ever had. I'd had long cycles before, but nothing like this. I mean, come on! Getting your period every month while trying to get prengnat is sad enough, but to not even be able to start trying again the next cycle because the next cycle never comes... I went through a lot this cycle. If it hadn't been for a couple of very close friends who knew my situation and continually encouraged me, I think I'd have fallen apart.

So, we're back to cycle day 53, June 10. I got my test results back the next day, and my pregnancy test came back negative. Discouraging, but not surprising. They also detected a low functioning thyroid, but it was very mild. Just something to keep an eye on.

My chart, in the meantime, popped up saying I'd ovulated sometime between CD 14 and CD 43... Not very helpful, but encouraging none the less!















As time went by and I continued to chart my temperatures, the ovulation date became more concrete. Finally, it appeared as though I ovulated on June 6! What a miracle! My charts hadn't indicated ovulation since November, the last time I got pregnant!! Needless to say, I was ecstatic if for nothing more than just to have ovulated! I noticed we'd had sex two days before, so the likelihood of pregnancy was very minimal at best.

So, a mere three days after my doctor's appointment where the blood test absolutely confirmed that I was not pregnant, on June 13, I took a home pregnancy test. For some reason, I just felt like I could be pregnant. Darion and I stopped by Walgreen's and bought some tests, and we went home and used two. One was the Walgreen's brand, blue dye test. This test was so weird. Instead of a line, it would create a positive sign if you were pregnant, negative sign if not.

After the several minutes were up, I saw a line! Darion did too. There was no denying it, but we did anyways. I absolutely had no faith in the test. I thought it was absurd, and following up that test with a Clearblue digital solidified that belief. The results window popped up, "Not Pregnant." Another disappointment, but totally anticipated, whatever.

The next day, I decided I would test again, why not? I had no more tests, and couldn't wait to go out and buy a test, so I just though, oh well, I just won't use the restroom for a few hours today, that'll probably do it. So on the way to my sister-in-law's, I bought some pregnancy tests. We ran errands and what not, all the while, I held my bladder.

At about 2 o'clock, I went home, and I couldn't wait to use my tests. It was silly. The evidence against a pregnancy was overwhelming! I know that blue dye tests are notorious for false positives. The blood test was negative. The clear blue was negative. We hadn't timed our sex right. But still, for some reason, I felt like I could be pregnant.

So, sitting there on the bathroom floor with a cup of pee and three different types of tests, I started. Methodically, at first, I dipped the first test. It was a pink dye First Response Early Result test. These are reknowned for being the most trusted tests. Withing twenty seconds, two perfect pink lines appeared in the little window.

This all would actually have made sense, because I'm pretty sure I tested as early as you possibly can. The Walgreen's tests detect 25 mlu, and Clearblue only 50. The day before, the Clearblue had said no because there wasn't enough hormone in my body yet, but the more sensitive test had detected it.

I was puzzled. I still didn't believe it! I frantically ripped open another test before the timer for the first had even rung. This too, fabricated the two pink lines. At this point, I maniacally ripped open the Clearblue Digital, still expecting a negative. Withint about a minute, the word popped up without the "Not" in front of it.

"Pregnant"

How could I deny it now?? I was sitting on my bathroom floor freaking out! I think the dog was probably terrified, but she's no Lassie, so no help showed up. I kept repeating, "Oh my gosh! No way!! What?!" It was ridiculous.

So of course, I hopped up, grabbed my keys, and went to Babies 'R' Us. I bought a couple announcement presents for Darion, printed off my chart, and packaged everything as a present. I was going to tell Darion as soon as he got home!

Unfortunately, we had dinner plans, and he wasn't going to have time to come home first, so we had to meet there. We spent some fun time at dinner with my brother and sister-in-law, and at 8:00 I feigned exhaustion, and we left. I couldn't wait to get home!

As soon as we walked in the door, I had Darion come sit on the couch. He started opening the gift, but I don't think he really got it, so I said, "Honey, we're pregnant!"

It was so exciting, we were both giddy, but also terrified and disbelieving.

Over the next week or so, I continued to pee on anything that would hold still long enough, as Darion might say. They all came back positive. I scheduled my first appointment for June 16.

At my first appointment, they based how far along I was off my last period, so they guessed I was 8 weeks... HA! Believing that, they scheduled my first sonogram for today, June 28.

So today, Darion got off of work two hours early, and we drove down to the hospital (an hour away, yuck!). They did the sonogram, and our midwife realized just how early on we really are. I explained to her the situation after she was done doing the sonogram, and she said, "I ought to have measured the gestational sac!" So she put all her equipement back together and tried again.

This time, she measured everything and said that we were measuring about 5 weeks, 6 days. I was pretty much right, believing myself to be 5 weeks 1 day. So the midwife had things set at a different angle, and she was actually able to show us a tiny flickering light! It was our little baby's heartbeat!!! How amazing is that?!

It's still to early to have heard the heartbeat, she tried, but it's too faint. But what a miracle! There's a little baby with a healthy little heartbeat in there!

I've never felt more blessed and excited! I still can hardly believe it!

So sorry this post went on forever, I meant to post about everything sooner. But I think a part of me was still scared about what happened last time.

We're still both a little nervous, so we're going to wait a while to start telling people, but I'm actually a little more comfortable being excited about everything! Last time they couldn't even see a fetal pole, and this time there was a definite sac, yolk, and pole!

I just pray this little baby is healthy and the blessing that we are supposed to receive this time!

4 comments:

  1. OMG! Congrats Cyndi! =) I'm so happy for you & the hubby & what a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We're so excited and feel so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats girl!!!! So so so happy for you and your husband! Hope you have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete